content header
Thursday, April 5, 2007
Some sweet southern comfort with a side of Aqua Net *updated*
Not Much Southern Comfort - But plenty of other offerings....

Template - Ow. My. Eyes. Seriously. As I'm typing this post on a big white screen I am seeing black and white things float across it. You know, like, when a computer screen doesn't use a screen saver and the image gets burned into the screen? Well, like, this has just happened to my eyes. Is it possible for your retinas to hurt? Because mine do. White lettering on a black background should be illegal. It should be a punishable offense and anyone who choses this template scheme should be relegated to the gates of hell, or in her case, Paris, surrounded by ugly and irritated French people demanding that she speak French. Listen, the rest of this review is about to get better, I promise. But PLEASE for the love of God, get a different template. There are plenty of freebies out there and we will help you. If you want simple, do simple. that is fine! Just don't ever, EVER use white lettering on a black background. Your readers just might start sending you bills for the headache medicine they have to keep buying.

Content - I. Love. Her. She had me at hello... ok, well, actually she had me at this... (For those of you with more than one child, you know that when they are hell-bent and presenting a united front to get what they want, it's a tough row to hoe. I swear, if they were put in charge of US Foreign Policy and told that getting our troops out of Iraq would earn them candy or a Bratz doll, the war would be over in less than three days.) I read all of her posts on the first page despite the burning sensation in my corneas (because she is that entertaining) and then went into her archives to read the very first few posts. This post won me over, even though it the deal was already signed, sealed and delivered. This blogger is humorous, entertaining, long-winded (but that's ok) and knows how to tell a story. She writes of her daily life and knows how to keep you interested, even during the long posts.

Sidebar - This doesn't even need a mention because it's short, neat and sweet. Kudos.

In Summation - I. Heart. You.

Rating 8 out of 10 - Sorry, but I took 2 points off for the template. If you get a new one, that is less painful to read, I might consider giving you the two points back... but there might need to be a lot of begging and some bribes consisting of money and food.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Spandex and Hairspray - Where's my damn Agua Net!?

Template
-
I want to hate it. The background is beyond cheesy.... think: old school Microsoft Windows screensaver and sitting at your desk, bored out of your mind and staring at those "stars" flying at you until you wanted to puke. The header image is creative though and goes perfectly with the theme and premise of the blog. While we are on that subject, it's about growing up in the 80's... hands down the cheesiest of all decades in the 20th century... so, the lame-ass background fits as well, I suppose. I want to hate it... but, it works. I just think, considering the blog's idea, so much fun could be had to create a great 80's style template.

Content - The premise really is a great idea. It's a woman reminiscing her youth and telling stories of the days past.... in. the. 80's. That's pure entertainment right there. However, what I read wasn't really all that entertaining. It was decent but long and somewhat boring. It's not the stories... it's the way they are told. They need some umph. They need some life. They need some tie-died shirts clipped up on the corner at the hip with a pair of hot pink jelly shoes! Gawd, the horror. You know, I don't really like reliving my 80's... so this blog is a tad painful too. Then there are some stories that aren't meant to be funny but merely a recollection of a something that she endured or that changed her in some way. That's fine... but a little bit of life still needs to be breathed into the posts.

Sidebar
- Looooooooonnngg! The cursive font in the second section is hard to read but the rest is fine. Most everything in her sidebar serves a purpose but a few things like her stories could stand to be rolled up neatly. It's just a busy, busy sidebar and it is very distracting.

In Summation
- It has a shit load of potential but needs an equal shit load of tweaking. And I'm not talking drops of acid tweaking... though it could be fun. You are onto something girl... it just needs some good old fashion 80's touches.

Rating 5 out of 10 -

Labels:

content header

5 Comments:

Blogger Diva Dee says...

I like her. I checked in on this blog once before after she first submitted it, and I was distracted by the template, so I moved on.

Glad you reviewed it, and got me to keep reading!

4/06/2007 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

I agreed with your take on the 2nd one, too. It will definitely one I'll be checking on to see what changes are made. She DOES certainly have potential. I thikn all of us have a lot of great material to talk about from that decade!

4/07/2007 11:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown says...

Thanks for the review; since you wrote it, many people have chimed in agreeing, so I will have to work on the damn thing again, LOL.

I have at least changed the black background for now!

4/09/2007 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Thanks for the review.

I know I suffer from stuffed-shirt-itis. My writing can be a tad dry. Comes from taking years of business writing courses, not creative writing.

I promise to work on the template. I just can't seem to find a designer that can get the feel right.

Maybe I'll do better when you review my other blog...I better get working on it!

4/09/2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger Angel says...

Honey, your template is 100% better and enjoyable to read now! Great job!!!

Teresa, take your time, when you find a template or a designer you'll know:)

4/11/2007 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home