content header
Monday, March 19, 2007
From Hollywood to the Midwest
Hollywood Flakes - Not everything in Hollywood is fucked up!

First Impression -
I bow to the template designer. He or she did an Oscar winning job.

Template - Read above. It's clean, it's very unique, it's easy on the eyes... it's everything a blog template should be! Readers... TAKE NOTE OF THIS BLOG!!!

Content - See, if you haven't noticed already, this review is going to be simple. It's going to be simple because I just cannot find fault with this blog or the blogger herself. Her posts are funny and unique. Her self-deprecation is enjoyable and humorous and the "extras" on her blog are great. She has created pages called "Stuff We Dig" and "Stuff we eHat". I went thru each of those pages thoroughly and actually enjoyed looking at them! You just have to go there to understand. Her sidebar is almost perfection. Everything is rolled up nicely and organized very well. There are only two suggestions that I have. One is that the "Guest Lounge" should maybe be better suited being called the "Green Room". It would fit the theme better. Oh, and I would like to see some sort of bio. I'm picky about that. When I open a blog I want to see a small description of the blog and blogger. It helps formulate a relationship with the reader and give some direction to the blog. However, without those things, she still does a great job and it's easy to just pick up and read her blog without being confused. It's also nice to see a Mormon who enjoys taking cracks at herself and her faith and she also dispels the lame-ass misconceptions that people have about the faith.

In summation - If anything, this blog will show you that Mormons are normal people, they have real senses of humor and are not all living in desert compounds with creepy men and 30 children running around.

Sarah, good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and I hope you have an easy labor and a very healthy baby.

Rating 10 out 10 - Yes folks, I really can't find anything to complain about, the content and template mesh very very well.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Anonymous Midwest Girl -

First Impression - Not bad... now lets dig into the posts.

Template - Well, it's a standard Blogger template with some flare. I have a love/hate relationship with the header image. The overlay doesn't go with the image but it's not horrible. In this case I compare it to the song choice on American Idol. She may be able to sing it and keep in pitch, but it isn't necessarily right for her. The sidebar is tidy and simple so I can't complain about it much. There is just no theme to the blog to jazz it up. The category titles are juvenile and overused. "Linkalicious" and "Pimp Your Blog" really need to be retired into the "bad side bar category hall of fame".

Content -
I didn't get to read much (time constraints) but what I did read wasn't bad at all. But, it wasn't engaging either. Lets just say I have seen a LOT worse. Her writing does seem humorous at times and if it's not Pulitzer prize worthy and evokes emotion from me, then I at least want to see humor. Go here... it's in the running (ha ha ha... you'll get that after you read this post) for one of the funniest things I have read.

In Summation - It's mundane and humdrum but it has potential! A lot of potential! Just jazz up your template and put some pizzazz into your posts. Just think JAZZ HANDS! One more thing.... POST MORE! You are sporadic in your posts and go a long time in between.... faithful readers hate that.

Rating 6 out 10 -

Labels:

content header

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous says...

I agree that the template for the first review is nice and different but some of the images look a tad blurry.Perhaps it's just my PC thouhg or something!

3/19/2007 5:51 PM  

Yes!! I love Hollywood Flakes! I had never even seen her site until you reviewed so I took a gander at her site and I am hooked, HOOKED, I say! She seems funny and fun, her template is great and I have a great deal of template envy now. I'm green even. 10 out of 10 is deserved, and that's not just the Mormon in me talking.

3/20/2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger Sarah says...

I've got to say, I've spent the last month that my blog has been on the waiting list here looking at all the suggestions you've given other blogs and I adjusted my template accordingly. So basically, I cheated. Do you guys take away points for that?

Thanks for the good review! My only correction would be that you're wrong about us Mormons. We're totally weird. Thanks again, RubyLou!

3/20/2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger RubyLou says...

No WAY do you lose points for that Sarah! That is how you EARNED your 10 rating! That is what a good review site is for... to help people out with suggestions and advice:) Some take it and some don't.

I just believe that it's a guide. It's not the word of God. People's opinions vary and we are merely here to express ours and guide people:)

3/20/2007 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Hollywood Flakes has pretty decent content (I only read a couple posts so it could be better then decent, LOL)... but *scratching head* as for the template.... I can't see a header image and the sidebar images are blurry....maybe it's my computer??
Just curious, I think I may be losing it..

3/20/2007 8:47 PM  
Blogger Sarah says...

Sorry - you're not losing it. I put a very slight shadow under the word images in my sidebar which I guess makes them just look blurry instead of cool. Oh well. I don't know why the header image wouldn't load - gremlins?

I love the "Green Room" suggestion. I'll have to fix that when I get a few minutes.

3/21/2007 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home