content header
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
2 10's for the price of one
Under Surveillance - Braindead Betty isn't so braindead after all....

Template - What a sweet piece of work. Usually black backgrounds are lost on me... I just don't like them. In this case, though, it's perfectly acceptable and it works because the text body is a grayish background so it's not a horrible assault on the eyes. The header image really seems to pull you in as well. I'm diggin' it.

Content - Look, when you open a blog and read the first couple of posts then you find yourself actually wanting to go back into the archives to keep reading, then you know it's good. It's really as simple as that. Her posts, generally speaking are short and sweet but they seem to always convey a point and the randomness of that point doesn't matter, because it's a good read. She is funny, spunky and you really and truly get a great feel for this girl just by reading her "About A Girl" statement at the very top of her sidebar. Yeah, girl knows how to do a sidebar... but that will come a bit later. Anyway, Braindead Betty has all the criteria that I look for a in a blog... all of it. She has a clutter free template, simplicity, letting the reader see who she is at her core and entertaining posts. I honestly read quite a bit of this blog including her 100 things... yes, I read all 100 of them. You really get to know her thru that list. I also discovered a shared passion...she harbors disdain for the misspoken "Nuc-U-lar" just like myself. So, a shared hate brings me and Braindead Betty closer... See? Hate doesn't always have to mean a bad thing. Hate can bind two foreign souls together.... (cue "We are the World" Music)

Sidebar - This is also a sweet piece of work. I love how it says "About a Girl" and I am totally loving the "Miscellany"... simple minds, I know, but that is just cool. I have never heard that term before. It's always misc or miscellaneous all spelled out. But, really, I can't write an entire sidebar review about one silly word that I happen to be in love with... or can I? Ok, I won't. Moving on, the categories are organized and clean and it just doesn't get better than this.

In Summation - I love Braindead Betty. I think she is awesome. I want to be her friend... we could check our oil together and she could teach me how to change a tire. Fun times. But, I draw the line at Sci-Fi. It's ok and all, but not my favorite genre. So, we could be friends if she would be willing to compromise on the television viewing... and if she promised not to cry at everything. I don't cry.

Rating ... wait for it... oh yeah. She's gettin' a 10! A TEN BABY!!!
________________________________________________________________________________

The Modern Savage - Coming to a pub near you...

Template - I want to dislike it because of the colors and the drab nature. But I can't hate it. He's a man, he writes about his trials as a single man trying to bed women (this is actually a cool thing... not a male whore thing) and the template fits. It works. It doesn't need to be anything more because the posts are the defining characteristic. The template's understatement allows the posts to be the star.

Content - Ladies... men... everyone....Read This Blog. This young man is trying to navigate the shallow waters of companionship, be it for a night, or a lifetime. And, let me be the first to tell you here, there is nothing wrong with a one night stand. You can disagree all you want, but it will not change my mind. Moving on... the best thing about reading this guy's posts are that you can honestly see that he has morals. You may question him at times, but if you truly read, you'll see that he is also questioning things. Hold up, a single man who wants to sleep with women but he has standards? Morals? Yes! Ok, no, he's not perfect, but he's at least trying. Look, men want to sleep with women, and women want to sleep with men. This is not earthshattering news. It's just a fact. This blog just gives us a birds-eye perspective on "the chase". It's unique and interesting. The only thing missing is a bio of sorts... considering the type of blog this is you could really have fun with that. A brief description of yourself would be nice... just to provide some background. For instance, since people don't seem to believe you were a 27 year old virgin you could mention that in a bio for your sidebar. Because, we all know that if it's spoken in the sidebar, it's the gospel. All doubt would be removed Mr. Savage. Sidebars are the blog's bible.... duh. Don't worry, writing a short bio doesn't mean you'll give up your anonymity.

Sidebar - It's somewhat long but I can see a purpose for everything. The links are interesting and it is organized very well.

In Summation - You'll want to keep reading....

Update: ETA - I was completely wrong in my review when I said this blogger doesn't have a bio. It was a huge oversight on my part and I sincerely apologize. His bio is under the "About" link at the top of his blog and I simply missed it. Thanks for pointing it out Matt! My apologies again.

Rating .... oh boy, could it be? Could it really happen twice in one review? Another 10? YES! YES! ANOTHER 10

Now, lets get something straight, I'm not just throwing around 10's because I'm in a good mood or anything... 10 is a highly coveted number but it doesn't have to be complicated. For me, personally, 10 means I found nothing to complain about and I want to go back and keep reading daily. It's just that simple.

Labels:

content header

10 Comments:

Blogger Matt says...

Finally, I made a women shout, "Yes! Yes! Another 10!" It was good for me too;)

As for the part about having a bio I do have an About section which I think goes pretty indepth about my background. It is listed on the top left navigation bar. I didn't write it in my sidebar because it is just too long and really deserved its own page.

Glad you enjoyed it, feel free to come back anytime.

Yours Truly,

-Matt Savage

3/27/2007 9:37 AM  
Blogger RubyLou says...

That is my error... I never even saw it... just a complete and total oversight on my part. My apologies Matt!

3/27/2007 10:24 AM  
Blogger Braindead Betty says...

Wow! I wasn't expecting anything that nice. Thanks for putting me in a good mood today!

3/27/2007 1:19 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon says...

I think you would have to be fairly young and not have too much going on upstairs to read about a lonely guys exploits at a bar.

Maybe never having had to work so hard at getting a date has made me unappreciative of those who do... I don't know...

I think you over rated this one by quite a bit.

3/27/2007 5:54 PM  
Blogger RubyLou says...

Well, Scott, we are all entitled to our opinions and for the record, I'm neither young nor am I lacking in brain matter. I am married with children as a matter of fact and with the exception of an occasional lapse in brainpower due to my children sucking the very life out of me, I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, despite my self-deprecating humor.

As for Matt, he isn't some 20 year old guy writing about the "bitches" and "panty droppers" at the local bars and dance clubs with whom he screws for fun. His trials involve more than just shallow behavior written from a male whore's standpoint. He shows depth in character. But I guess you missed that point.

3/28/2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon says...

Yes, while he was kissing some "older" lady (35ish)in the alley and describing the whole thing, pointing out that there were too many differences between them and so he would probably never get to f--- her, I was spellbound by his depth and over-all humanity.

You got me there.

Why bother rating blogs if your perfect score is the lowest common denominator altogether?

It's like calling a Jack Black Film "Spellbounding".

You get a 4 out of ten on your review...

3/28/2007 6:58 PM  
Blogger Matt says...

Dear Scott,

You seem very quick to judge in my opinion. From your attack comments it seems that you really haven't read much of my blog at all other than the first post, which I don't feel you understood either. That's fine. The subject of my blog isn't for everyone.

However, there are quite a few people who enjoy reading it and can relate to and understand what I'm trying to accomplish. The reviewer of this blog obviously enjoyed it and I find her to be of good taste.

Oh and God forbid that someone actually wants to have sex!

Regards,

-Matt

3/28/2007 10:23 PM  
Blogger Dan says...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog last week. Nice blog review site you have going here. You review blogs for free? Jeez, are you gals gluttens for punishment? :)

3/29/2007 7:36 AM  
Blogger RubyLou says...

Dearest Mr. Scott in Oregon,

Your tunnel vision is excruciatingly obvious. Does your head ever emerge from your ass or did you have it surgically implanted there? I'm just curious.

And I find all of this quite amusing considering the fact that you have a picture of gigantic tits on one of your blogs right at the top of your page advertising "National Gorgeous Boob Awareness Month".

Regardless of your content being completely different from that of Mr. Savage, you still have gigantic boobs displayed on your blog. Matt simply writes unpretentious words about his single life and from what I could, had ZERO pictures of boobs on his blog.

At this point, we should just agree to disagree.

And for the record, you will never EVER hear my say that a Jack Black film is spellbinding, let alone entertaining.

3/29/2007 3:51 PM  
Blogger Diva Dee says...

I loved both of them, and I know for sure Modern Savage is getting added to my blogroll!!

Lucky you, getting two 10's in one day!

4/04/2007 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home