content header
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
TwentySomethings
Can today's review get any better than yesterday?

Yes, I'm doing two reviews in a row... maybe I'm just saving all the bad ones for Ruby Lou. She seems to love 'em all, doesn't she?

A warm welcome to TwentySomethings from New York! She's the next blogger to sign up for the ass-shreddings and general floggings we give out here. Yesterday I gave out the first TEN, and she'll be a tough act to follow! Think this one can handle the pressure?

My first impression was that of HUNGER. My stomach growled as I realized this page is chock-full of yummy treats. Chocolate is my weakness, and you've chosen a worthy bribe to get my attention. Chocolate bars...yummy-- and is that a GUMMY WORM I see over there, too? And Jelly Belly's? Mmmmmmmmm.....

Template/Navigation: I like the template, although I think the candies in the background are a little too overwhelming. It's supposed to be a background, some wallpaper, but its not supposed to overpower the entire screen. I like the idea of it, though.

The one thing I truly hate about this site? Every time you click on anything in her archives it opens in a new window! I was reading back through her posts, and I literally had SEVEN windows open all at once. That's a good thing to have for outgoing links, but I'm just navigating through one measly site. I don't want a fuckton of windows opening all over my screen. Fix that, and quickly. A 3-column template (which I swear I will try to stop complaining about in the future) is annoying. This time, the 3-columns aren't cluttering up the page, but the space for your actual blogging is so narrow, it's hard to see past the candies to get to what you're writing. Other than that, rolled up archives, short blogroll...check and check.

An FYI --your link for "Read it. You'll thank me" on your home page does not work-- or at least it doesn't for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Content: Let's start off with my favorite post. So true, so very fucking true.

She has a roommate that locks her out, a guy across the hallway in her apartment building that just might be dead, and she has this major gripe about men that don't wear a coat even when its 50 below outside. Yes, that would be MY husband you're seeing. He refuses to wear a coat. It must be a sign of virility, a sign of strength, a sign of manliness...

Nah, he's just an idiot.

On to more... I definitely am not a fan of centering all the text in your posts.. makes me feel like I am reading a poem or something. Sometimes its OK to center a paragraph for one reason or another, but in my humble opinion, its harder to read. And not to be a total NAG, but when viewing your archives, there is about a 12-inch gap between the title of your posts and the content. Annoying as hell. I got tired of reading through the archives for this reason alone.

With that being said, maybe I missed the endings to a lot of things going on in your life, so forgive me. I hope you eventually caught that mouse that was terrorizing you and your roomie. And I love Ryan Gosling just as much as you do. I've been crushing on him ever since first seeing him in "The Notebook." I'm bummed he didn't win the Oscar, cuz he could have gotten it on looks alone.

And btw, don't change your hair color-- I love it.

Overall, the content is good - hilarious, actually. This twentysomething has a lot to say about life in the big city. I laughed out loud several times, and there's some great writing in there. BUT -- sometimes I couldn't tell if I was laughing more at what she was saying or at the fact that I had 25 windows opened on my screen at one time. I'm not OCD like Ruby Lou, but I was starting to get a little sweaty, as the blog was taking over my computer,. I felt like I had lost all control. MAKE IT STOP!

Clutter: Unless you count the sweet, yummy, calorie-laden goodies in the background, there really wasn't any.

Would I Return? Maybe. If I was going to come back, I would read this through a feed so I wouldn't have to deal with the quirky bugs in the template coding---just give me the writing.

Rating: 5 out of 10

Labels:

content header

2 Comments:

Blogger Daisy says...

Uh-oh. My hand is raised on her post "The Secret, Lame Person You Slept With". Thank heavens it was long enough ago that I'm not still wincing over it.

2/28/2007 10:56 AM  
Blogger JUST ME says...

thanks for the review.

I agree. I suck with technology. I'd change all that shit if I could. But I can't. And I don't know any nerds...so...problem.

But at least you liked my writing. Which is good. Because it's not like I'm trying to get an MFA in blog design.

And if I was...well...
I'd be a gigantic loser.

2/28/2007 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home