content header
Monday, April 16, 2007
A Tale Told By An Idiot
This is quite the busy explanatory little blog.

Meet Lia from New York. Her blog is A Tale Told By An Idiot.  Boy oh boy, has she been preparing for a review. She studied our reviews like she studies for an exam.   She's apparently studied what we like and dislike about blogs, and she's made some changes and added some explanations to a lot of her posts and her sidebar. Maybe a little too much explanation, but I give the girl props for her effort.

Template: White with a neutral header graphic. Normally this would cause me to have a BF, but I will refrain. (BF = Bitch Fit... haven't you people ever seen the movie "White Chicks?") The template isn't bad, per say, but for a young girl from New York, it certainly isn't what I expected. I think I would ditch the explanation of your title, and just call it:

A Tale Told By An Idiot
...because life is not trademarked.


I knew what you were going for in your title, without reading the explanation, but I'm smart. So leave it without explanation for us smart people, or dumb it down for everyone else. Don't do both. It makes your title too wordy.

The sidebar is neat and clean, and the choice of titles for categories is way cool. I've never been much of a Shakespeare fan myself, but I can see where you're going, and your blog has a purpose. Archives are neat, blogroll is short and sweet. And people, she's got Radioactive Jam on her short list, so thats a plus right there! (Radioactive Jam just happens to be one of Ruby Lou's favorite reviews she's done! lol)

My one question about the sidebar is the list of links under the "View My Complete Profile" thing... what are all those for? I know what she was aiming for. She was wanting to avoid our biggest complaint we have when reviewing blogs, which seems to be lack of a bio or explanation of WHY someone is blogging. As Ruby Lou likes to say, a blog's gotta have INTENT. So although Lia is trying hard to make sure everyone understands her blog, she forgot one important piece of knowledge. There is a HUGE difference in needing to explain something because you are too vague and your writing sucks, and needing to explain something because we are not smart enough to understand what you are trying to say. Your blog is the latter.  Don't waste your time accomodating those people that wouldn't know a Capulet from a catapult. Seriously.

Content: I already touched on this in the "Template" section, so let's continue. Lia, my dear, you're a WRITER. Your posts are deep, funny, and thought-provoking. I felt my IQ wanting to creep up a couple of points just from reading your blog. Hell, even your readers seem smart! Blogs can be a huge waste of time or a terrific outlet for creative energy. You've got more creative energy than I've seen in a long time, and you're not just taking up space in the vast expanse of the internet.  We should all take a listen every so often to what you have to say.

Clutter: None.

Would I Return? Yes. While her style and content may not be for everyone, I happen to like her.

Rating: 8

Labels:

content header

4 Comments:

Blogger Lia says...

Wow, thanks!

Actually, the only prep I did for the review was the last Friday's post (which can probably come down now?); the list of posts under my profile pic was there before, chosen because I like them.

Sorry you didn't like like my bird very much. I thought he was very conversational when I took the photo.

Overall, though, thanks for the visit and the review. I do so hope you'll come again!

4/16/2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Angel says...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4/17/2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger Bill C says...

"Wouldn't know a Capulet from a catapault" is going in my storehouse of Awesome Phrases For Future Use. Fully attributed of course.

4/17/2007 2:03 PM  
Blogger Bill C says...

And when I actually *use* it I'll correctly spell catapult. Like you did.

Duh.

4/17/2007 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home