content header
Wednesday, August 1, 2007
Harry McFry Investigates
____________________________________________________________________________

Blog Being Reviewed: Harry McFry Investigates

Reviewed By: Chatty Chicka
____________________________________________________________________________


At First Glance: The header is kinda cool. This is a "blook"... Did I just make that up, or is it a real word? Anyways, it's a book/blog. 130 chapters thus far, and the author is on vacation for a bit.

Template/Design: I'm not lovin' the design here because there is so much stuff on the 2 sidebars, that it distracts me from the story. I'm not gonna even comment on all the award thingies. I know you love 'em. You know I hate 'em. 'nuff said. Three things I need to comment on as far as the template goes, and then we'll move on. One) The author's "About Me" section is stuck down on the bottom of the 3rd column, far below where I would normally expend any effort looking for it. Two) The archives are filed by WEEK, which only makes them longer, and there's absolutely no need for it. Three) One thing I like is a link at the TOP of the 3rd column directing you to Chapter 1 of the story, in case you are a new reader. I like this.

Content: Here is where I get bogged down, and it's entirely my fault. He's a good writer. Very clear and concise and written in that "hard-boiled detective" fashion reminiscent of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler. The problem for me is that I do not enjoy hard-boiled detective literature. For detective stories, I like John Sandford, Patricia Cornwell, and F. Paul Wilson. I have to confess I didn't read the whole story. I live by the motto, "So Many Books, So Little Time" and so I don't read stories that I can't get into. That doesn't mean this isn't a good story. I urge you, reader, to go check it out. Never pass up an opportunity to read a good book, or a good "blook", as it were.


What is the first thing I would change about this blog?: I'd switch to a two column template, move the "About Me" section up to the top, choose a different archive setting on your template, and move those blog awards farther down the side bar.


What is the best feature of this blog?: I'm gonna go with the story here. Just because it doesn't interest me doesn't mean it's not a good story. He has some faithful commenters, and lots of subscribers.


Rating: 7, because he's a good writer, with a crappy template.

Labels:

content header

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home