content header
Wednesday, August 1, 2007
Stainless Steel Droppings
____________________________________________________________________________

Blog Being Reviewed: Stainless Steel Droppings

Reviewed By: Chatty Chicka
____________________________________________________________________________


At First Glance: Oh God, who turned out all the fucking lights? Ok, now that my eyes have adjusted, it's not so bad. I kinda dig the header, and people this blog's layout is clean and neat as a whistle! The orange-on-black is hurting my eyes a bit, but my middle name ain't "Forge Bravely Onward" for nothing.


Template/Design: Wow, I do like the design of this blog. But dude? Move the archives UP, UP, UP!! Nobody, and I can't stress this enough, NOBODY wants to hunt for the archives. I personally, will leave a blog immediately if I can't click around easily. Again, the orange-on-black is a bit off-putting, but not so much that I wouldn't read, if I get interested in what you're saying...


Content: Which I'm not, so much. Interested, that is. Not that what you write is not COMPLETELY worthwhile. Because you totally seem to know what the heck you are doing. Let me start over.... This blogger is a reviewer of books, movies, music, comics... And he is GOOD at what he does. I read several reviews for each category, and thoroughly enjoyed what I read. Along the way, he throws in a post or two about something specific and non related to the rest of the blog, or about nothing at all, just yapping. I like those posts best. The reason this blog doesn't hold my interest is, the guy is seriously into science fiction. And I am not so much. I do enjoy Laurell K. Hamilton and Kelley Armstrong, but that's about the extent of my foray into to science fiction.


What is the first thing I would change about this blog?: If I could change anything I wanted, I would make the blog-post background white, the font black, and you still got the black overall background. Much easier on the eyes. Also, I'd move the archives up. Hell, while I'm at it, I'd like him to review some books in other genres, maybe detective fiction, courtroom drama, thrillers, medical mysteries, and just for shits and giggles, a smidgen of romance.


What is the best feature of this blog?: The absolute WEALTH of information on books, movies, music, and of course, if anyone is interested, comics. He works hard at this, folks. And he does an excellent job, methinks.


Rating: 8.5, because the problems with this blog are minor, and he's totally performing a great public service.

Labels:

content header

3 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson says...

Nicely done. I feel that both with Chris (Stuff as Dreams) and myself your site reviews have been very fair considering we are both into things that you clearly are not.

I'd like to move the archives up as well. My site is a cobbled together bit of code of the very first Wordpress release and as such is virtually unfixable. Someday I will take the time to upgrade and port it all over...someday... :)

If you're interested there are a few other reviews besides science fiction (and I assume that you are lumping fantasy into that heading as most of my reviews are actually fantasy books). I've reviewed several children's and young adult books as well as multiple 'gothic' fiction works, mostly for last Sept/October's R.I.P. (Readers In Peril) Challenge that I hosted. The majority is genre (sci fi/fantasy fiction, however). If you like Hamilton I recommend reading my reviews of, and then grabbing the books, Colleen Gleason. Both are paranormal romances (The Rest Falls Away and Rises the Night) and are definitely in the vein (pun intended) of what Hamilton writes.

Again, I appreciate the kind words and your ability to give a fair assessment outside of your areas of interest, for that is truly the best measure of your reviews being objective. Thanks!

8/01/2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger Frau Zee says...

Carl V.
Wow, thank you for your thank you of my review!! I don't get that many thanks, so often.
But then, sometimes I'm a screamin' bitch.

You and I should probably get married. 'cause we're both scorpios, that's why!! And Lordy, how I love a man who reads...

I'll check out those reviews, dude, thanks...

8/02/2007 5:09 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson says...

I'll run that by the wife! ;)

8/03/2007 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home