content header
Friday, February 16, 2007
Radioactive Jam
Radioactive Jam: not for the dumbasses of the world, like myself.

Once I got the image of glowing green jelly erased from my head (nope, it's still there...shit) then I had to get past the fact that just the title alone tells me that this blog is over my head. So, how do I judge a blog fairly if I don't get it? Hmmmm, I don't! I just rip it to shreds! HA! Yeah! That's it! Let's just belittle and hate anything I don't understand! Isn't that the American way anyway? Hate what you don't understand!

Alright, well, I won't go that far. The little angel sitting on my right shoulder is yelling at me and telling me to be fair. Fine. FINE!!!

Template: It's a 3 column. While I never really understood the reasons for everyone hating 3 column templates, I guess they are a bit annoying. In this case, it's OK. It's clean and not cluttered with ads and bullshit. So he gets an A++ for that. The aesthetics is actually very fitting for his title and it looks good. It easy to read, easy to navigate and easy on the eyes. However, he gets a quadruple A++ for his archives tool. Holy shit that is the single coolest blog enhancement/tool I have ever seen. I wish EVERYONE could use that archive tool.

Content: {This is where the blog reviewer gets lost.} Some blogs are clear in their intentions... be it a statement of intent underneath their title, a description in their profile or even just the title itself. Then there are blogs like this that seem to be their own little private jokes that can only be shared with their personal friends or fellow MIT graduates. It's not like you can just open up this blog and fit right in, unless you are one of the two aforementioned people. Of course, this is just my stooooopid opinion. In reading this I guess I'm left with more of a "huh?" than an "AH-HA! THAT'S FUNNY SHIT". That is not meant to be negative, I just don't feel smart enough to keep reading. I'm sure if I dug deep, went back to the beginning and really got to know this person then I would have a much better grasp of the blog and it's content. The point is, I have no desire to do that because it didn't grab me initially. With that said I know the dude is funny and I enjoy his writing style. While I don't share his disdain for use of the word "impacted" in lieu of "affected" he is entitled to his opinion. They are like assholes, after all. Everyone has one. My disdain happens to lie with people that say "NucUlar" instead of "NuclEar"... including our almighty Commander in Chief and resident grammar and speech monkey. But that's neither here nor there.

In Summation: This blog is probably funny and entertaining to you if your IQ is over 140 (funny thing is my IQ test in high school said I was at 137...) and I would say go, run to it. Laugh and be merry. But do it without me. Maybe I'm just in a daze and needed to spend more time reading it, maybe I'm completely getting the wrong impression, but whatever it is, first impressions are everything and if I can't jump right in or at least wade around and then jump, I am not interested. This blog just needs a very specific type of reader... in my humble and stoooopid opinion. And I'm not that reader. But they do exist. At least, I think they do.

Rating 6 out of 10 (just to be nice and give the benefit of the doubt that it's probably funnier on a higher level than my head will allow me to go)


Labels:

content header

5 Comments:

Blogger Bill C says...

And I was *so* expecting a rip-to-shreds (thanks, for not). I posted a response, in part because I don't exactly agree with a couple things. But in a good way. Hope that makes sense...

I do appreciate the critique. You're absolutely right about first impressions; I'll see if I can improve mine.

Thanks again--

2/16/2007 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Yeah, RaJ is one of those "all-over-the-place" kind of bloggers. But I think fellow MIT graduates is a bit strong. More like Berkley.

Good review - very kind.

2/16/2007 6:41 PM  
Blogger RubyLou says...

Ok, Berkley is an option... But, his hippie side didn't really show, so how about we just go with Columbia or Northwestern?

After your comment and what you posted, you have won me over... I'll keep going back and reading to learn more about you! Dammit, I'm easy... but not cheap.

2/17/2007 11:54 AM  
Blogger Bill C says...

*begins planning peanut butter & jelly sandwich post series*

2/17/2007 8:04 PM  
Blogger RubyLou says...

Oh no... do NOT start those!! If I drool on my keyboard I'll ruin it. Stick with what you are... I'll learn:)

2/18/2007 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home