content header
Monday, February 12, 2007
The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor
Frumpy Professor

Okay, I'll bite... Why would this frumpy Professor care what we think?? This is what I was wondering as I was reading through what I thought would be a boring and mundane blog regarding literature, arts, and other things that interest me but I have no "smarts" for. Meaning, if you use big words I'm outta there.

What I found was a very interesting blog about a dog who drinks beer in a bottle (honest to god true story - pet beer of course), a story about his love and hard times for his mother, and many other sometimes not so happy posts. It is a bit of everything which in my opinion, keeps the reader interested and holds a bit of intelligence as well! I can even forgive him for his last November 2005 post on hating football - although it was a bit tough at first.

Now, lets discuss the template. I hate this part, I really do. The colors are great for what the blog is about - seriously. It has a "Professor" kind of look to it, albeit a bit boring, but not all together bad. Again, the colors mesh well together.

Ugh, the bad part??? Well, the sidebar of course! What the hell is going on here? Too many numbers - As Phoebe Bouffee said when she saw Monica and Chandler "doing it" -MY EYES MY EYES! I can't stand when people list their archives by month like 02/01/07 - 03/01/07. Now that would be okay (relatively speaking of course) if they only had a couple of months but this frumpy professor has been blogging since 2003! Almost 4 years of numbers on the sidebar - NO NO NO. Roll it up, I said, Roll it up! Same thing goes for the myriad of blogs he has on his sidebar that he promotes. Just because they are in TINY little print doesn't mean they aren't long and annoying.

I think we should talk about the posts again - because I could ramble about the template forever. Excellent writing, very honest and open, and quite frankly I like him. He doesn't seem all that frumpy to me!

Would I return? Yes, probably I would! WOW - shocking huh?

Rating - 6 1/2 out of 10 (That sidebar REALLY dropped this score)
content header

5 Comments:

Blogger Dick says...

One, get over the sidebar issue. It detracts from your original purpose of grading bloggers who could care less about the minor crap. They simply want to know if you think they have a shot at becoming the next Lil' Papa Hemingway or not.


Two, type out your posts on Word before you publish them. Look at the title of this post as witness.
Question? Are any of you girls a published author?

2/13/2007 8:45 PM  
Blogger Lara says...

I think the aesthetics of a blog are important too. Some blogs are so littered and confused that they become difficult to read. The right layout, colors, and images can really enhance a blog if used correctly, and similarly, they can absolutely detract from the content if not done right.

I am not one of the girls from site; rather, my blog is awaiting review (like you). I am interested in an objective outside opinion about all aspects of my blog, both visually (layout, sidebar, content, etc) and content-wise. I have no delusions of being the next Hemingway, and I would not rely on a fun, silly site like this to tell me one way or another. For those reasons, it doesn't matter whether the reviewers are published authors. As I said before, it's an objective opinion that you can take or leave as you wish.

2/13/2007 9:01 PM  
Blogger Dick says...

The colors are vastly important, more so I believe than the sidebar.
The print against the background is a huge issue.
And just so ya know, I have read you several times and you do have a shot.

2/13/2007 9:04 PM  
Blogger Sexy Simone says...

Dick - The sidebar issue as well as the general layout is a very important part of a blog review and for you not to realize that leads me to believe that you think you have a perfect one. Although that remains to be seen when your review comes up doesn't it??

And yes, I mistakenly did not spell check - oh the horror!

I corrected that immediately :) And I'm not spell checking this comment - shoot me now!

2/13/2007 10:33 PM  
Blogger Whisky says...

A perfect one?! Are you referring to his blog or his.....ahem! ;)

I liked this blogg, but I think I'm biased. The pictures of the pipes remind me of my dad, I love the smell of his freshly lit cherry tobacco :)
Do you need to be a published author to be a reviewer?! Not when nowaday's you can pay to publish your own works.

Methinks a little arguementation is meant to stir things up in readiness for Mr Dick's review on his part LOL.

Now let me get out my microscope and have a better look Dick......ermmmmmmm now where is it?!

Hugs

Whisky

xxxxx

2/14/2007 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home