content header
Friday, March 9, 2007
Miss Misery Smiles
Miss Misery Smiles - I can feel the insecurities and pimples of my teens emerging. Fuck.

First Impression: "Dude is wearing pink lipstick. Really." That shade is so not his color. Aside from that, love the header picture.

Template: It's actually quite nice. The header pic is large but visually appealing. The colors work well (except for dude's lipstick) and it's easy to read. The sidebar is clean and not littered with bullshit. While that may seem like just an ordinary statement to most of you, check this... this is a 17 year old's blog! Hold up! WHU! Where are all the fucking blinky-dinky buttons and MySpace links and all that other annoying horseshit? That's right, they don't exist! Girl, I don't give a shit if you have 2 heads, a hairy back and sound like Little Richard (it's ok that you don't know who he is, most of the readers will), thank you for being a non-conforming teenager! That alone scores huge points with me. Moving on, despite my intense love for things unseen in this template, I must say that I abhor stationary backgrounds and movable blog bodies. Anyone out there that knows what the correct terms are for this incredibly annoying template design, please inform and don't fucking mock me for not knowing. Everything with this template is pleasing to me, except the stationary background. I don't know why, but I find it disturbing and juvenile. Also, your background is so default-standard that it takes away from the greatness of the rest of the blog template. Lastly, yes, yes I DO like the post separator hearts. They are sweet without being vomit-cute.

Content: This is the part that makes the angst of my teenage years rise up from the dark recesses of my mind and horrify me once again only to be thankful that I am NOT that teenager anymore. As she states in her profile, she is 17. She also claims to be sarcastic with a chip on her shoulder. Yes, yes she is. However, there is a sense of maturity in those characteristics and it's actually more refreshing than the mall-hopping, lip-gloss whore types that I'm used to seeing. But, she is still 17 and I had to try very hard to read this blog objectively. See, normally, at the mere site of a profile that states "I'm 17" I run away. I run away screaming "GOD PLEASE! NO! MAKE THEM STOP!" This time I wasn't able to do that. I was forced to read because the boss made me. (do you realize she actually whips us into submission and forces us to paint her toes along with doing these blog reviews? it's horrifying). Anyway, I read and read as much as I could. I did notice that she is pleasantly mature for 17. She may struggle at this age but she seems to at least be rebellious enough to stand out on her own two feet and not conform to what the "cool people" think should be and yet not get herself into trouble like true rebels can. I am disturbed by her father letting her drink last year, but hey, I'm not her parents. I saw a few posts that hinted at health issues for her related to her legs and some mentions of surgery but I could not find anything specific. What I would like to see is a clear and easily accessible bio link in her sidebar. I guess I just like to get an idea of a blogger's background thru a small bio. Her archives are rolled up and simple but you have to go thru each post to hunt for things. There are no categories to guide you.

In Summation: She is a teen blogger but there is more to her than that. Her posts are somewhat inconsistent in that some are mature and showcase her "take no shit" attitude and others are very "teen-like". She has it all, boy problems, school issues, friend problems and it seems like she has to add a lot of doctor visits into her mix. Teenage-hood is never easy... never. I hate being reminded of my years and actually strongly dislike teenagers, even when I was a teen I still disliked them immensely. So reading her blog can be a turn off if you are over the age of 25 and don't give it a chance. I for one don't want to be transported back into the difficult, hormone-laden, confusion of adolescence so reading a teen written blog isn't on my to do list. But in all fairness, if you are going to read one, this would be the one read. She isn't your typical teen, and that's refreshing.

Just a few things honey, smile a little more, for real, not just to hide your pain. Boys suck and you won't find true love in high school so just accept it. And finally most girls are superficial bitches at that age and you seem to be the lucky girl that already knows that. You have know idea how far ahead the teen game you are. Real life isn't high school... it's still out there. Good things are coming.

Rating 5 out of 10 - (it's not exactly bombshell reading or entertainment.. but she deserves points for the effort and for being herself without making readers ill)

Labels:

content header

2 Comments:

Blogger j says...

Thanks for the review RubyLou!!

3/10/2007 7:47 AM  
Blogger Abigail S says...

For a teen, I think she has put together a good blog. I, too, am impressed how it is not flashy.

3/10/2007 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home