content header
Friday, April 20, 2007
The Wonderful World of Joseph McCrumble
Ok, I just got a good chuckle out of opening this site, because the first thing I saw was "Breast is Best" as the name of his most recent post. Interesting to say the least... here we go with The Wonderful World of Joseph McCrumble.

Template: Standard Blogger template, blue, blue, blue. Sidebar is way too long, and he's another blogger that chooses to put his Archives & Previous Posts at the very bottom. Sort through the fluff and prioritize your sidebar. It's YOUR BLOG, so put YOUR archives and posts first. If we like what we see, we might cruise through your blogroll. But first and foremost, make some changes to entice people to stay at your site.

Content: I'm struggling with this one... what is my opinion of this blog?


*dead silence*

*crickets chirping*

*awkward pause*


Hell, I'll come right out and say it. I don't understand this blog. It is either a wacky attempt at humor, or a true story, or its so far above my head that I just don't get it. And now I'm intimidated because I don't know which it is.

I read through many posts, and honestly-- I don't like it. I don't like feeling that I'm not smart enough to understand something. I am having flashbacks to high school and my Advanced Placement Literature class. The teacher assigns a pop quiz. Everyone else spent the previous night reading the assigned chapters in the book, yet I chose to hang out at the lake with my friends, drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

Is this the Scots poking fun at us free-wheeling Americans, giggling at the fact that most of us have no culture? No understanding of anything outside of our own backyard? Sheesh, I'm waving the white flag here, Dr. McCrumble. Because in my case, you might just be right. I read the most recent post (WTF?), saw the cute pictures of your new baby (Congratulations), and then I got lost. Like in high school, I tried cheating by skimming through other areas of the blog, hoping to catch a glimpse of my diminishing brain power. Now I'm choosing random months of the archives, hoping for something, anything to keep me motivated to pay attention to this blog. It's just all a blur of Ugandan elections, a very "interesting" research assistant named Ravel, and so much more.

For the sake of ending this review and putting you all out of your misery from my random ramblings, I'm giving this one:

Rating: 5

If you want to give your own review of this blog, please leave it in the comments. I'd love to hear what all of our readers think.

Labels:

content header

6 Comments:

Dear Diva Dee

Thanks for visiting my blog. Sorry you didn't understand what's going on. I agree it can take a bit of time to get used to things. You think I'm poking fun at Americans? How so?

I'm not sure what you mean with your comments about the sidebar. This must be a blogger - platform specific problem as on my 2 pcs the links appear high up. You using a Mac?

The blog is a diary. New readers will benefit from trawling the archives, particulary those from the very beginning (Jan 06) where the scene is set. Anyone who wishes to fully understand how my world works could do worse than invest in a copy of the book (available from Amazon). Not only will you be entertained by numerous misadventures, but you'll also be satisfied to know that all my royalties are going to a charity focused on development projects in Africa.

You appear to be having problems understanding the level of truth in my posts. I agree that some of the stories may appear incredible, but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, eh?

best wishes

J McC

4/20/2007 11:31 AM  
Blogger Rebecca says...

You asked, so my two cents are it is awkward to read because of his word selection and the way he phrases things.
BTW - Kudos on the format of your reviews, I am anxious to read what your team has to say about my blog!

4/20/2007 12:46 PM  

Dear Frigga

Sorry you find my phraseology awkward. Was there anything in particular you didn't understand?

J McC

4/20/2007 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Personally, I loved this blog! The humor is fantastic, and kept me wanting to read more.

4/20/2007 2:41 PM  

Hi Amanda

Thanks! I tried to visit your site but got timed out. I'll try again later..

J McC

4/20/2007 2:56 PM  
Blogger Daisy says...

I found Dr. McCrumble to be on the intellectual side; he's got quite an extensive, but formal, vocabulary. I'd expect no less from a gentleman who refers to himself as "Doctor." I found the reading to be enjoyable, but have a feeling that most SMB,SLT readers are going to need a dictionary to fully understand him. (Neonate isn't a word commonly used in the good ole US of A!)

I didn't find the standard blue template to be obnoxious, since it's almost the same color as my background (ha!) Like Diva Dee, I'd like to see the previous posts and archives closer to the top of the sidebar. I'd insert them above the advertising and promotional items, but that's just me.

That's a mighty long first page. My ideal would be about five to seven entries on the first page. I think I counted fifteen?

I'm adding him to Bloglines. Anybody brave enough to finish a goulash with hedgehog balls gets my attention!

4/20/2007 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home